top of page

Notice to Evict N5 - Damage, Interference and Overcrowding

Updated: Oct 22, 2020

If a Landlord is having a problem with a tenant, and it isn't related to rent, it is likely going to use a form N5 from the Landlord and Tenant Board (LTB). A link to this form can be found at the bottom of the article for reference with the descriptions below.**

Generally speaking, if this is the first N5 notice to that tenant in the past 6 months, the termination date must be 20 Days from the date of service of the N5. For those who read my column on the N4 (Eviction for Non-Payment of Rent), I still suggest adding one extra day to the minimum notice period. This is a simple safeguard against arguments about notice periods on the day of hearing. Remember, you will need to complete a certificate of service from the LTB for the delivery of the N5.

When completing the N5, “Reason 1” is for interfering with others. This can be anything from a loud party that keeps other tenants awake, or refusing entry to a landlord who has provided appropriate notice to check the smoke alarms. If this is the first time you have given the tenant an N5 notice under this reason, the notice gives the tenant “…7 days to stop the activities or correct the behaviour….” If they do not remedy the issue in 7 days, on the 8th you can apply to evict that tenant on the N5. If this is their second N5 notice for an issue with a 7-day correction period in the last six months, you can apply to the board immediately. The termination date calculation may also change.

“Reason 2” is the most common in my office, and relates to damage to property.  This portion is reasonably clear but requires two elements for success. First, you must be able to prove the damage. If you do not have an estimate for repair/replacement, your application most likely will not succeed. Second, you must have someone to give testimony about the damage and how he/she think it happened.  This can come in many forms but the easiest is often the Landlord/Property Manager with a letter from a contractor who repaired it, or a police report.

“Reason 3” is Overcrowding. This does not mean that they have a friend/lover or family member living with them, but that the number of people in the unit is high enough to breach health, safety, or housing standards. This is a high test to meet, and exceedingly uncommon in my experience.

If you have questions about a matter with the Landlord and Tenant Board in Ontario, please contact my office at 519-564-3242 or email and we can discuss it.


273 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Lawyers and Paralegals across Ontario get lots of questions about rent increases, here is what we wish every Landlord and Tenant knew.

No week would be complete without someone asking this question. I like to make my answer simple: It is the Landlord's job.

The Residential Tenancies Act, at s. 20(1) says "A landlord is responsible for providing and maintaining a residential complex, including the rental units in it, in a good state of repair and fit for

Covid Anouncement 1
bottom of page